Friday, September 6, 2013

The spice of life

  Today I went to a Chili Pepper Festival with Rachel in Bowers, a quaint little town on the outskirts of Kutztown, PA, deep in the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch country. Driving there, one is flanked on either side by sleepy little houses and people growing things everywhere, using the ground to its fullest potential. A pumpkin patch here, corn fields there, and the piece de resistance being Meadow View Farm, who has a staggering amount of hot pepper plants you can pick your own from, as well as heirloom tomatoes and eggplants, aside from homemade jams and jellies, smoked and dried garlic and peppers and flowers and plants. Needless to say, I love that area of the world very much.

  Now, I'm inclined to believe that this town of Bowers doesn't have a whole lot going on, big town excitement-wise, during the rest of the year but this pepper fest is a big deal; it drums up a lot of business for the locals and not only that but a lot of the stands are selling products made locally, as well. Preserves, homegrown veggies, garlic, and there's plenty of food. I highly recommend the Thai Iced tea from a Thai food catering tent, whose name I forget at present.
  Other highlights were the Torchbearer Sauces stand, a farm who brews real Apple Cider Vinegar (they also make themselves) with over a pound of garlic per gallon, making for a tasty, and healthy brew. Shoot it or cook with it, it's up to you! There's honey, and just too many other things to keep naming.
  By far, I think it's fair to say both of our favorites was home sweet homegrown, a local company out of Kutztown headed by Robyn Jasko, who makes lovely things out of what they grow. Yeah, I bought a lot of stuff there: Robyn's book, which she signed to both Rachel and I, some hot sauce, home-smoked (and grown) garlic but the BEST, and I mean the BEST, was the home-brewed water kefir they had on tap. We decided on Ginger Pineapple, and it was light and fizzy and delicious, naturally carbonated and rife with healthy probiotics. I was pretty much in love.

  It was just such a cool, cool day with some awesome people really just getting together to share a love of food, fun and all things spicy. Home made is always best, think globally, buy locally. Keep supporting those little guys; it could be me and Rach (ok, Rach and I) one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment