Monday, September 23, 2013

Burning off impurities.


  It's actually the name of an album by Grails but as I was inverted in down dog, it seemed fitting for a way to describe my own practice of yoga: A method of burning off impurities, to be left with the purest essence. I'm almost positive the title is more of a reference to the culture of drugs but it's hard to tell; it can be a very fine line between drug use and spirituality, and if you need any examples of that then look no further than the 60's and 70's.

  My thought process also led me to pondering how these yoga "superstars" from India came to be so huge and developed their own systems within the practice of hatha yoga. I'm talking about Iyengar, Pattabi Jois (Ashtanga), Bikram, etc.
  Each one has their own theories on the practice, each of their practices comprises a complete system fo complete rejuvenation of all bodily systems. I, however, have a rebellious streak and lack a guru of my own, so I'm kind of left to my own devices, which means that my rebellious mind gets the best of me and sooner or later I reject everyone else's system in favor of my own (whatever that is).

  I usually end up doing my own practice, though while still following basic guidelines from these other schools of teaching. It's not perfect but I try my best to keep things balanced and interesting. Too much experimentation has always been my main detractor from finding lasting success i.e. finding something that works and sticking with that, rather than constantly jumping around back and forth, searching. But, having said that, perhaps I have not found that something (read: practice) that works for me yet.

  If there's one thing all these methods of thought and different schools of teaching can agree on, it's that it is a continuous journey, and the only way to achieve anything is to keep practicing. I translate that to include even my more neurotic or experimental moments and phases.
  I have no desire in creating my own "system" of yoga; I just want something that works for me, that feels complete for me and not just like I'm following someone else's instructions because what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. Shit, even the Buddha said not to take his word for anything and to find your own answers.

  I'll go with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment