Saturday, August 3, 2013

Presence.

  Quite possibly the hardest thing for me to deal with has always been my lack of ability to stay focused on what is present, what is right in front of me. It's only too often that I'm off in my head somewhere ahead of or behind where I am right now, where I should be, and this has always been a source of internal and external contention for me in my life.
  One could possibly try and make an argument that social media lets us embrace staying on top of the present with a multitude of posts and 'likes' but this is not even remotely close to the same, because it gives one no further control or insight into their minds' own ramblings, and why you do what you do.
Be careful with that control word, though; it can give you a whole other set of problems.

  Jealousy, bitterness, rage.. all these come from that neurotic place inside us we don't stop and check in with enough. Some call it meditation, others call it a power nap and still others go for a walk; truthfully, it really doesn't matter what you do to tap back into yourself and disconnect from the rest of the world for a few minutes, just that you do it.
  It can be as easy as standing in line at the grocery store. Obviously, this is where our Western impatience comes into play, as we all have somewhere to be like 20 minutes ago but just stand there. Don't peruse the gossip rags, don't start critiquing peoples' fashion sense and what ever you do, DO NOT play along with your mind's little games; it's a bored puppy that wants to grab the toilet paper roll and drag it around the house so you chase it and get all agitated and late.
  STOP.
  BREATHE. A little slower now, and deeper. Nice and easy, one after the other. Now focus on that, and how good it feels to fill your lungs with oxygenated tranquility. Feel your anxiety from only seconds ago melt away with each deepening breath until you realize you were so lost in it that you're next to check out and people are now glaring at you. Then smile at them and say, "Oh, I'm sorry, I was just caught up in the present".

No comments:

Post a Comment